Sexual health and safety

The welfare officers provide condoms (male and female), lube, sex toy wipes, pregnancy tests and attack alarms to your pidge, as well as reimbursing half the price of a menstrual cup or the morning after pill (though the nurse can prescribe this for free). Fill out the welfare form here or email one of the welfare officers with the supplies you require. In order to be reimbursed for a cup or pill you will need a receipt.

The women’s officer provides free emergency menstrual supplies in Hertford main site.


Where are there sexual health clinics in Oxford?

There are 3 clinics in Oxford which together provide a comprehensive range of contraception and sexual health services:

  1. Rectory Centre: Rectory Road, East Oxford, OX4 1BU
  2. The Churchill Hospital, Old Road, Headington, OX3 7LE
  3. Orchard Health Centre, Cope Road, Banbury, OX16 2EZ
  4. There are also clinics in Abingdon, Bicester, Didcot, Kidlington, Wantage and Witney.

For full details visit

How else can I get tested?

Oxfordshire sexual health also offers free postal STI kits for self-testing here.

Where can I get hormonal contraception?

The college nurses, Jo Stenning and Ev Francis can offer family planning advice, help with hormonal contraception, and prescribe emergency hormonal contraception (the morning after pill) for free. Call 28 Beaumont Street (01865 311811) to make an appointment.

Otherwise, the welfare officers can reimburse half the cost for you of the morning after pill for you. Here is a list of pharmacies in Oxford that provide the morning after pill.


The University has a Safe Lodge scheme, which a number of colleges including Hertford have signed up to, wherein you can enter another college lodge where the porters will contact Hertford for you if you feel unsafe.

It Happens Here is the Oxford Student Union campaign against sexual violence. Find out more on their website or join the campaign on the OUSU website. As well as organising protests and campaigns to raise awareness or change policy, working with colleges, councillors, and MPs, it also has a Safe Spaces initiative which is a peer-led community healing project for survivors. Sign up here.

The University runs an independent Sexual Harassment and Violence Support Service (SHVSS). The SHVSS provides a safe space for students to be heard, with advisors offering free support and advice to any current student who has been impacted by sexual harassment or violence. Further information can be found here:

College support

  • If you have been a victim of any form of sexual violence or harassment there is support for you in college to access at any time
  • If you have been subject to harassment, you can contact our harassment Advisors – ​Dr Aruna Nair ( and Mia Smith (
  • You can also talk to one of our Peer Supporters or one of the Junior Deans if you feel you need someone else to talk to about it.
  • If the harassment took place in college or you were subject to it by a member of the college community and you wish to take action against that person, the best person to talk to is Oliver Noble-Wood who is the Dean at Hertford and therefore head of discipline and welfare.
  • The college has never and will never use NDAs in cases related to harassment or sexual violence.

Other services